Sunday, November 3, 2013

My First Cars























 In 1967, on my 16th birthday, thanks to $600 in savings, a 1961 Volkswagen bug just like the one above became my first car.  It was a finicky starter on foggy mornings here on the coast, so my dad showed me how to drape a blanket over the engine at night and that worked like a charm.

The folly of purchasing a British automobile in the Hawaiian Islands still makes me shake my head at my naivete.  But yes, that's a 1961 Hillman, below,  which cost $50 on the island of Kauai in 1971.  Within days it broke down between Lihue and Waimea and remained on the side of the road for close to three months while a distributor cap was shipped in from the UK.  The part cost more than the car.   Couldn't sell it fast enough.

Photo courtesy artvalue.com






















And below, one of my favorite cars of all time - a 1951 Chevy sedan, purchased in 1971 on Kauai for $100, with only slightly less rust than the one shown below.  Mine was a three speed, with a white top and green body, ran like a top, great on gas, solid as a rock - a superb driving machine!


1 comment:

The Weaver of Grass said...

My first 'car' was an Austin mini van (I was a late starter to driving) bought when my son began to learn the double bass - it fitted nicely into the back of the van with no trouble at all.