Thursday, August 12, 2010

In The Neighborhood



My daughter joined me for another walk in the neighborhood and we both noted how much the flora have changed in such a short time. Things that were blooming abundantly just a couple weeks ago are spent and autumn is definitely in the air. The grapes, above, are just starting to ripen.



The purple puff is a melaluca blossom. As you might imagine, the bees love it.



At the top of the hill, over the rooftops you just get a peek of the Pacific and the horizon beyond the Norfolk pine tree.



This purple vine is unknown to me. It blooms and drapes like a wisteria, abundant and beautiful. Each cluster is made up of scores of star shaped flowers with orchid-like centers.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Lovely summer moments, Golden West! I love the melaluca blossom... I've not seen that before! :o) Happy Days ((HUGS))

Sweet Repose said...

I wish my summer lasted as long as yours...with no snow...alas, it is what it is in Ioway!

The Weaver of Grass said...

It is interesting that as summer progresses and autumn draws nearer the colours change to more sombre ones. Here everything is now in purples blue and deep pinks. The blueness of the last two photographs is beautifully intense.

steven said...

what a purple abundance - my daughter will love seeing these! autumn hasn't really showed up here yet although there are tickles of autumn colour and there are many plants going to seed in anticipation of having to set things up for next year. steven