Thursday, July 1, 2010

147 Years Ago Today



Today was the first day of the Battle Of Gettysburg, 147 years ago. The battle raged for 3 days across the fields and hills of that small Pennsylvania town. In total, nearly 50,000 men were lost. Above, three Confederate prisoners.



The Union victory was considered the turning point of the war. Above, the Cemetery Ridge headquarters of General Meade, who led the Union forces. Below, the Chambersburg Pike headquarters of General Robert E. Lee. leader of the Confederate troops.

3 comments:

Sweet Repose said...

This exemplifies what a young nation we truly are...and we still haven't learned a thing...we're still losing our brothers and sisters to wars...when will we ever learn...
to give peace a chance!!!

32˙North said...

Hard to imagine but that's really not so long ago.

Tracy said...

The heartbreak of war... I dream of world full of people dwelling in peace & harmony. I wonder if it may happen in my lifetime yet... I like to hope so. These photo take me home in a way... I lived just down the road a piece from Gettysburg. And to visit the place is a special thing. I get goosebumps thinking of all that happened there... all in the name of freedom. Lovely post, Golden West... Wishing you & yours a Happy 4th weekend ((HUGS))