Monday, May 3, 2010

California Poppies



Our state flower is the California Poppy. During my childhood, these hardy wildflowers bloomed across the cliff tops, up hillsides and down alleyways. These days, with so much less open space, locally they confine themselves to the railroad right of way that cuts through town, shown above, at our busiest intersection.

They're a hardy plant that thrives on neglect and all my attempts to get them to grow in my garden have failed. They just want to be left alone!

4 comments:

Tracy said...

So pretty! I used to have those in my garden once-upon-a-time...they definitely don't like being fussed with...LOL! I love seeing bit swathes of them... :o) Happy Week, Golden West ((HUGS))

steven said...

they are beautiful golden west! i am surprised that they won't take up just anywhere but sometimes flowers are fickle aren't they! steven

Eryl Shields said...

Gorgeous. I have a bright orange poppy in my garden, no idea where it came from, but it was pretty much the only colour in last year's dank summer.

Sweet Repose said...

Sometimes wild is just the best, then there's always a surprise! Our state flower is the Wild Rose and it's starting to get a foothold on my property, along with some wild asparagus...yumm and maybe some rosehip jam...in my spare time...right!

I am so pooped, going to bed early tonight, unless the couch grabs me first...and I feel it's song of the siren calling me...ha!