Sunday, March 21, 2010

Passages



During my childhood, Fess Parker brought two huge American heroes to life - Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett. Of the two, Davy Crockett loomed largest in my imagination and most frequently on television. He ventured forth on new adventures in the wilderness, righting wrongs and personifying justice, charity, friendship, loyalty, humility and courage. Those virtues mixed with a big dollop of charisma and good humor made Davy Crockett "King of the Wild Frontier".

Davy Crockett's book, written "By Himself" still has a place on my bookshelf.

Fess Parker, RIP.

5 comments:

steven said...

golden west i loved that program when i first came to canada. it made me think of how recently life was sort of like that. i have it on my list of "to eventually purchase" as it has been re-released on dvd. steven

Tracy said...

I've got the song in my head now...LOL! ;o) You book is lovely...what a pretty treasure of the past. :o) Happy Weekend ((HUGS))

Meri said...

Yes, the song is part of the sound track of a lot of childhoods. I never had a coonskin cap, but I'll bet my brother did.

Sweet Repose said...

Davy Crockett...sigh...what is it with these hardcore frontiersmen that make me swoon...whether pirate on the salty seas or backwoodsmen and Indians...I'm a sucker for all the romance...guess I should've stayed away from all the romance novels and Fabio hunks, huh...I'm a sucker for a man with long hair...

Have a wonderful Sunday...sun is shining in Iowa!!! And snow is almost gone!

My word verification is oviangst...is that what I have...hmmm...HA!

Rachel Fenton said...

Davy was the only man who could pull off wearing that hat!