Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The More The Merrier



My daughter turned 31 earlier this year, so that's about how long our papier mache Easter eggs from Germany have been accumulating. That's about half of them, above.



Our tradition was that the eggs were set out in baskets and come Easter morning the Easter bunny would have filled them with treasures, such as sidewalk chalk, bubbles, new socks (never a favorite, but the Easter bunny had a practical side), loops for weaving pot holders, small bills and large coins.



As they're seen but briefly just once a year, it never fails that they provoke fond memories of years gone by. The one with the single pensive rabbit and pussy willows, second from the top, is my personal favorite.



It's hard to resist adding a new egg or two to the collection every year.

5 comments:

steven said...

hey golden west - what a collection! i am intrigued by european vs. north american depictions of animals. these have much more of the look of actual rabbits than their north american counterparts. i wonder why that is? steven

Sweet Repose said...

As my daughter is 41, I still see those lil' blond curls chasing all over for brightly colored eggs. What beautiful memories for you too and such a fun tradition. Do you see grandbabies looking for them too...

32˙North said...

I love our eggs and remember each and every one from my youth!

Tracy said...

What a beautiful, fun collection, Golden West! I've always like the paper egg tradition. My sister & I had Easter baskets growing up, and where I lived you seldom saw there paper eggs, so I've always been a little fascinated with them. Here in Europe they are everywhere--LOL! I love how you've been collecting these for years and years... :o) Happy Day ((HUGS))

acornmoon said...

What a beautiful collection, you could start a museum.