Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Way We Were



When we exchanged family photographs at Christmas, my sister gave me this one. She took it of her husband and me when we three lived on the west side of Kauai in 1970. After working various jobs and saving through junior high and high school with the goal of a surf adventure, two days after my 18th birthday, my first stop was Hawaii. We shared a one room studio and back then, our biggest concern was where the waves might be breaking the best on any given day.

On this occasion, we'd just returned from a hot and dusty hike up Waimea Canyon and posed, parched and grumpy, near the suspension bridge, beside Mike's $100 1959 Studebaker, anxious to get out of the Canyon and back to the beach.

5 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

Love the photo and the story.

18 year olds know how to live!

Sweet Repose said...

Ahhh...to catch the wild surf, girl you certainly have lived the American dream of the teenager...too much fun!!!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Those were the days GW - all a long time ago now.

Tracy said...

What a great photos, Golden West--such history...and love that 1959 Studebaker!! Wishing you & yours a very sweet Valentine Weekend :o) ((HUGS))

Thud said...

A great pic...it reminds me of why I always dreamed of California.