Friday, February 19, 2010

Flowers You Can Count On



Some plants grow more dependably than others, and some plants don't grow at all. The trumpet vine, shown above, grows almost right before your very eyes. This particular vine survived being blown right off the porch and onto the ground and is none the worse for wear. The wind actually seemed to have done it some good, as it cleared away weak branches and a build up of spent leaves.



If you can keep gophers away from your freesia corms, they'll come back stronger year after year. This bud cluster has shown it will be flowering yellow soon.



An old fashioned garden favorite, the dependable calla lily works well at the back of the border and makes a beautiful backdrop for smaller blooming plants. This lily is in the process of unfurling.

3 comments:

Sweet Repose said...

Ahhhh, sunny California...as we await another 1-2 inches of snow in Iowa...I think I'll dream of my first trip to California when I was 13 years old and my trip to Chinatown was magical!!!

My uncle bought me the sweetest lil' China doll, with a bauble head...I wish I knew what happened to that lil gem...wonderful history lesson(and memory)!

Tracy said...

Love the elegance of that calla lily... *SWOON*... Your flower posts lately have me smiling, Golden West! We got another HUGE dump of snow last night and look to be snowed-in this weekend... At least I can hop around blogland and see flowers--LOL! Happy Weekend, my friend ((HUGS))

Eryl Shields said...

I love that trumpet vine, wonder if it would grow here in Scotland?