Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Streets Of The City



On a chance trip to the 2nd largest city in the United States yesterday - an adventure and a perfect opportunity for people watching and picture taking. With January temperatures in the mid 70s, there was a lot of activity on the streets.



Downtown is gritty and noisy and the commerce spills out of the stores. It's not uncommon for people to set up makeshift stores along the sidewalk for as long as they can avoid the authorities. This lady was selling pomengranite seeds by the spoonful along with slices of watermelon and pineapple.



As is often the case when taking pictures from a moving car, the focus in these pictures isn't the sharpest.



Downtown is a cacophony of sights, smells and sounds.



These folks were passing the afternoon tossing coins while they waited for customers.

7 comments:

Sweet Repose said...

I'm so glad I live in a little podunk community...your sunset is eye-popping, I drool...I had a cat that looked just like Tom, his name was Bill, he too was a character and huge!

Enjoy that beautiful weather, tomorrow we will have a balmy 40 degrees...eeeeeeee!!!

Tracy said...

Looks like a fun outing, Golden West! I would love a scoop of pomegranate seeds... mmm... 70 degrees... Oh, I'd love some of that! It's still about 0 degrees here... LOL! Happy Day ((HUGS))

The Weaver of Grass said...

Oh for some of that sunshine.

steven said...

hello golden west, could ya e-mail me a scoop of pomegranate seeds and a bucket of warm sunshine?! i really enjoyed these fly-by photos. steven

Esther said...

So fun because posts are so unpredictable yet consistently interesting.

A fan of the photos...

Rachel Fenton said...

I love the lady's pinny in the first shot.

High Desert Diva said...

Love the Diva shot.

I was in LA (somewhere) in the fabric district a few years ago. I'm pretty sure I bought a slice of pineapple from that woman :-)