Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Still Putting It All Away



The most anticipated day of the year has come and gone and now it's time to put away the decorations. Some things can be stacked on the top shelf of the closet, but most are wrapped one by one, with lots of care and a trace of wistfulness.



There's a story behind each piece of the collection, whether gathered over the years, handmade or passed down from one generation to the next. Seeing them all for such a brief time each year helps keep them special.

6 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

I do agree GW. I can still remember the decorations which we had on the tree when I was a child - wish I knew what happened to them. I think it is good that they only come out once a yea r- it makes us treasure them all the more.

Tracy said...

Hi, Golden West! Happy New Year! We're just back from our trip and catching up with you here... Feeling jet-lagged and heart-fuzzy after a sweet Christmas, good to be home and back in blogland. Very much enjoying checking in with your holiday postings. Looking forward to sharing another creative year with you. Wishing you & yours all the very best of love, peace & joy in 2010! :o) ((HUGS))

Sweet Repose said...

Married to an alcoholic for 20 years ruined all of my Christmas'...but I do have fond memories of each lil decoration, before the man...and yes, lemon verbena is one of my best sellers, as is lavender, we're just old fashioned girls!

steven said...

golden west - the photographs were lovely and you know it's funny but wistful sums up the transition from meaningful and memory infused christmas decorations into - well what is it into? hmmmm. not much out of the ordinary i guess! i think i'll have to find another colourful, exciting tradition to follow christmas and new years with!! steven

Rosie@Journey to Charm said...

What lovely treasures you have. My favorites are the ones my kids made when they were little. So sweet. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Rosie

High Desert Diva said...

I think your last line says it all....