Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Colors Of Winter In Our Garden



It doesn't get cold enough here to deter the flowers from blooming. On the contrary, some of them bloom the whole year through and actually prefer the cooler days to the heat of summer. Violas, above, are like that.



This nasturtium is a volunteer, growing along the edge of the driveway. These ramblers reseed so profusely that once you get a single plant growing, you'll have nasturtiums forever.



The tree mallow is a very easy shrub to grow. Its grayish green leaves are a good contrast to plants with greener leaves and it blooms profusely. Be prepared, though, to prune this plant back hard. Once established it grows quickly, both up and out.



This is the seed head of a gallardia, also known as blanket flower. It too reseeds with abandon and blooms all year. That's two of them blooming below, leaning into each other in the winter breeze.

6 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

I am not jealous, I am not jealous, ....

Sweet Repose said...

Do I have to repeat Charmaine...you dirty rat...the nasturtiums make me hungry for salad...yummm!!!

The Weaver of Grass said...

These pictures make me long for the Summer GW particularly as I believe more snow is forecast for next week.

angryparsnip said...

I no longer live near the ocean in California and this is one of the things I miss the most. Lush gardens. Every garden I had bloomed all year and orchids grew like weeds. I miss nasturtiums !
Thanks for the reminder and lovely pictures.
I live in Arizona now and we also have a year long growing season, but very seasonal and quite different from California.

Rachel Fenton said...

I am familiar with all of these flowerss bar the last..."pansies for thought"..."nasturtium the jolly...he holds up his brolly.."..."I am Mallow, here sit I, watching all the passers by..." W Shakespeare and C. M. Barker...grew all of the above in my English garden...wonderful pictures!

Tracy said...

Those are in your garden right now...*swoon*... it's a long time before anything's green and growing in our garden. This is a wonderful balm for my winter-sore eyes... Thank you, Golden West :o) ((HUGS))