Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Another Hand Me Down



When my great Aunt Dorothy passed away in Beloit, the relatives there picked things to be passed down to the relatives out West. They chose a collection of Indian arrowheads for my sister and this Civil war era family crazy quilt for me.



The quilt is hand pieced with scraps of velvets and satins, joined with embroidery. My favorite section is this embroidered bird in the star.



It's easy to date this quilt to the Civil War era, as this piece of hand work shows two people dancing in celebration of the end of slavery and says "Goodbye Dixie".

6 comments:

Eryl Shields said...

This is by far the wildest quilt I've ever seen!

The Weaver of Grass said...

What an absolute treasure GW

Molly @ A Bit O' Shine said...

That quilt is amazing! what a treasure.

天天夜夜 said...

你的選擇就是做或不做,不做就永遠不會有機會 ....................................................

Tracy said...

What an heirloom! It is wonderful...love all that blue velvet! Do you display the quilt? I've always loved quilts, and even dabble a bit in the craft, it's only in recent years I've begun to really appreciate crazy quilts--not just for their visual appeal, but for all the meaning behind them too. Thank you for sharing this treasure, Golden West :o) ((HUGS))

High Desert Diva said...

This is remarkable. What a wonderful heirloom.