Friday, January 8, 2010

All In The Family



Our family exchanged photographs for Christmas this year and these were given to me by my favorite aunt. That's Joseph Secakuku Yellow Feet, Chief of the Second Mesa Hopi tribe. When this picture was taken, Chief Joseph had proposed marriage to my grandma, who worked at the El Tovar Hotel at the Grand Canyon.



Grandma was a lively, fun loving girl from Hungary, via Indiana, who was a Harvey Girl at the El Tovar. When Chief Joseph proposed, she was already in love with my grandpa, who drove a touring car at the Canyon for hotel guests. That's my grandma, Anna, fourth from the right, with the other Harvey Girls, taken on the hotel grounds.



Above, my grandpa is on the left, wearing his driver's clothes, standing with his good friend Billy Bass. Mr. Bass ran an Arizona stagecoach line and was a local rancher.



Above is the card that Chief Joseph sent to my grandparents when he heard of their marriage in 1922. Chief Joseph went to Hollywood and appeared in silent films.



Included in the bundle of photographs was this circa 1920 shot of a Hopi Tribe Snake Dance at the Grand Canyon.

8 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

What fantastic family history & ephemera!

Tracy said...

That top photo of the great chief is so splendid! And I like that--exchanging photos at Christmas, what a good idea! Happy Weekend, Golden West :o) ((HUGS))

Rachel Fenton said...

What amazing photographs! Brilliant. The Chief looks like a real character - going to look up some old movies now!

Thank you for posting such special images. I love hopping by and having my head filled with personal histories :)

steven said...

golden west - this was one of those rare hold-your-breath and see experiences. you must be amazed to see these amazing characters who were your family! the photographs are so rich and wouldn't you just - wouldn't you just love to meet them now!!! steven

Sweet Repose said...

What a rich history you have my friend, you are so lucky to know all of this.

I would love to know more of my paternal Grandfather's history. He was raised in a sod house in Julesburg Colorado and is said to have had Native American relatives, but that is all I've ever known. He certainly had the stature and the chiseled brown skin features of a plains Indian. Some day I'll get to the bottom of it!

Had computer problems this mornin', some days they just get under yer skin...know what I mean!

s

RezDiva said...

All of the photos that you have are incredible. Such good family history.

The one of Chief Joseph Secakuku is the one that I was looking for.

You see Chief Joseph Secakuku is my Great-Grandfather. I was searching for photos and more information on him. Your blog came up on the search.

There is so much I don't know about him. But you have helped out alot on my search. I didn't even know he was in silent films.

Thank You Golden West

P/S Your blog is amazing!!!

One Nation, Under Fred said...

hi, I'm the author of a new biography of Fred Harvey, Appetite for America, and I'd love to see any other photos you have from the Grand Canyon--where I'll be lecturing on August 28--and hope to maybe post some on my blog, One Nation Under Fred (www.fredharveybook.com/blog) which is becoming a sort of central address for Fredheads and Harvey Girl-fans. can you contact me at sf@stephenfried.com?
stephen

Doug Gomez said...

Good Afternoon:

Fascinated by your family history and wanted to know if by chance you know or have any relation to Dama Margaret Smith, who also knew Chief Jos. and photographed the Hopi back in the 1920's.

Thanks,

DG