Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Hand Me Downs



By the time my dad's people made their way from Canton Glarus, Switzerland to California in the 1840s, my mom's family had already been in New England some 200 years. That's a photograph of my great great grandfather, above, on my mom's side. His name was Dr. Fayette Royce. A physician, he became a preacher who manned the pulpit at St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Beloit, Wisconsin, below, for 29 years, until his death in 1897.



My grandmother was his granddaughter. When thought of that way, it doesn't seem that long ago. The photograph below shows the interior of his church, decorated for Christmas. The church still stands and is the oldest remaining church in Beloit.



The pewter bowl and compote, below, were passed along to me by my mom. They're both dented and out of round from long years of use. The compote held the baptismal water and the bowl was the collection plate in my great great grandfather's church.

6 comments:

32˙North said...

It's so neat to know stuff like this.

The Weaver of Grass said...

It is so important that we remember the past and keep it alive for the sake of the generations to come - those are lovely heirlooms to pass down.

High Desert Diva said...

Talk about family history. How wonderful to know all this....

My grandmother was the keeper of family information. I wished I would have paid better attention to the stories....

Sweet Repose said...

How lucky to have ancestral relics, I have nothing of any age to recall family history, you're very fortunate!

I'm with Charmaine, wished I'd paid attention!!!

Jeremy said...

I just found your post and, oddly enough, Fayette Royce is also my great, great, grandfather (my mom's dad's mom's dad). And, I grew up just up the road in Vista. My parents still live there. Thank you for sharing. I'd love to see what else you may have on him or his line???

jdm said...

Like Jeremy, Fayette is my mother's father's mother's father. So we are all third cousins, I guess. Check out Fayette's biography