Monday, November 16, 2009

Taking Pride



When my daughter was barely two, my mother would sit her down with a huge tin full of buttons and a long, blunt rugmaker's needle. My mom would either knit or embroider while my little one sat at her feet, engrossed in threading colorful buttons onto yards of sturdy thread. It wasn't long before she developed the skill to embroider and make clothes for her stuffed animals on her own. That's one of her first projects, above, that's been tucked away these many years.

Fast forward more than two decades, and now she makes her living creating holiday ornaments, with a big emphasis on Christmas. Her goods were featured this month in the Christmas issue of Victorian Homes, below.



Below is the page of her merchandise the magazine featured. She's been working on this year's collection since last February, and with Christmas this close, her energies are directed to packing and shipping. So far this month, boxes have been shipped as far afield as Tasmania, the Canary Islands, France, Denmark, Great Britain, Ireland, Canada and Australia. Never a dull moment! If you'd like to see the rest of her decorations, you can go to vintage-ornaments.com.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

Lovely tribute to your daughter, Golden West...you have good reason to be so proud and shout out about it! She's terrific person, creatively inspired and great business-woman! :o) Happy Week ((HUGS))

The Weaver of Grass said...

My goodness me, what a perfect example of learning when a small child and getting such love of a subject that you continue into adulthood. I love that doll it reminded me of a doll I bought in Lunenberg in Canada - a doll for children to play with quietly in church - completely made of soft material so that there was no noise.

Barry said...

What an honor for your daughter, and how richly deserved.

Her work is exceptional.

acornmoon said...

What a lovely story, I can see why you must be so proud of her achievements. I bet you have the most beautiful tree in town!

High Desert Diva said...

YAY!