Thursday, October 15, 2009

Equilibrists In The Circus



In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, traveling circuses made their ways to our biggest cities and the smallest towns alike. As late as the 1950s, a circus pitched tents on my great uncle's dairy farmland in Del Mar, 5 miles south of here. Colorful lithographed posters, not unlike the one above, and a wildly painted calliope that drove through the streets of our town announced the arrival.



These portraits of circus performers are circa 1915. Acrobats, like those below, were also known as equilibrists.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Look at those costumes--I love that! I've not been much for the circus itself, I have to say... I don't feel good about animals being in captivity and trained to do trick... The glitter and costumes--that is great! :o) Very fun post for today, Golden West! Happy Day ((HUGS))

High Desert Diva said...

Love the flare on the pant legs!

Rachel Fenton said...

I have never been to a circus but you can bet that any I could have seen did not contain anyone in costumes like those guys!
Ant they're so in earnest!

steven said...

hello golden west - i see their faces and the posters and i'm transported back to a time i didn't know and into experiences i've only read about. the pure magic that these people must have represented in small mid-west towns can only be imagined by me. a beautiful post. thankyou. steven