Wednesday, October 28, 2009

As Seen In The Yard



Sometimes it's fun to just walk around the yard with the camera and see what catches the eye. Above, petals from a hanging flower basket floating in the birdbath.



The only tree in our yard that turns color for autumn, our towering ginkgo tree.



Up top, our stash of firewood for this autumn and winter. We keep a fire going most of the day when it's chilly out, almost as much for the sheer pleasure of it as for the warmth.



A buttery rock rose blooms along the concrete driveway.



If you have children, consider planting a lamb's ear. The more interesting your plants, the greater chance you have of fostering a love of gardening in youngsters. The leaves are soft as velvet. The plant has a lovely grayish color that is a nice contrast to the usual greens of other leaves. Although the lamb's ear produces flowers, they're not very impressive and the plant is mostly grown for its outstanding foliage.

7 comments:

Sweet Repose said...

I too wandered the yard yesterday as the sun was rising and took a shot of a last black eyed Susan on it's last leg of the journey before the snow kill...how sad...

Love the shots of your daughter on her board. My 21 year old grandson got a job at Zumiez skateboard shop, his dream job...they are starting to sell snow boards now, I'm sure if her were on the coast, the lil' daredevil would be in the surf...ahhhh youth!

Tracy said...

Such lovely moments here, Golden West... I miss having lamb's ears in the garden. Will try them again, they weren't happy the first spot I tried... Funnily enough I took some photos of nicely stacked logs while out on a walk yesterday...So many moments... :o) Happy Day ((HUGS))

High Desert Diva said...

Lovely shots

32˙North said...

I think a good many of those leaves are now all over the driveway, my car and in the flower beds.

Rachel Fenton said...

I love lamb's ear, and back yards!
Cool photos.

Delwyn said...

Hi GW

I am amazed at that pile of firewood.. you are anticipating some cool days!

The lambs ear is new to me and it is so like a fluffy little lamb ear...it reminds me of comfrey leaf...

Happy days

Crafty Green Poet said...

lovely series of photos, lambs ear was one of my favourite plants as a child, so furry...