Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Tijuana Tradition



Unless you've been to the Mexican town of Tijuana, just over the border from San Diego, you may not be aware of the tradition of having your photograph taken on a painted donkey. The picture above, taken in 1939, is my mom, second from the left, with her little brother, mom, sister and on the right, her favorite, coolest cousin Tom who was visiting from Beloit, Wisconsin.



The rest of these folks are strangers to me, but were equally enticed to take a souvenir picture of their trips to Tijuana, Mexico. The one above is from 1935, and the one below is from 1959.



This last photograph, below is dated 1952.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

What fun photos! And I didn't know about the tradition... Guess because I'm a looong way away from CA and Mexico to know. ;o) Happy Day, Golden West ((HUGS))

The Weaver of Grass said...

I love that last photograph although none of the four ladies looks especially happy.