Thursday, August 27, 2009

Johnny Nash Sings Bob Marley



One of our local FM radio stations plays 3 hours of Bob Marley every Sunday and to my ear, his music has held up as well as Bob Dylan's. One of my favorite Marley songs is "I Can See Clearly Now", and although it was written by Bob Marley, it is mostly identified with Johnny Nash.

Nash was born in Houston, Texas and was the first non-Jamaican to record reggae music in Kingston, Jamaica. He recorded "I Can See Clearly Now" in 1972 and performed it in the video above in 1973. Perhaps if the song had been written 100 years earlier, it would be considered a Spiritual, not a pop song, as it sounds more about the afterlife than the weather.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

That's a great song... And I'm a Bob Marley fan too--he was a poet...Dylan is too, and so is Springsteen! :o) This was a nice pick-me-up for the afternoon... It's raining here--LOL! Happy Day ((HUGS))

The Weaver of Grass said...

I am still a Bob Dylan fan - not so sure about Bob Marley though. I see Bob Dylan has brought out a new record of Bing Crosby songs - did I read that right, it sounds too incongruous to be true.