Friday, August 28, 2009

Another German Expressionist



Born in 1887, August Macke was raised in Germany but spent most of his creative life in Switzerland. His travels took him to Italy, Paris, Tunisia and Holland. Exposure to the Impressionists and Post-Impressionists in Paris influenced his work, which became more avant garde when he became a pivotal member, along with Gabriele Munter and Kandinsky, of Der Blaue Reiter (The Blue Rider).

His wife, who was his frequent model, posed for the painting above, titled "Elisabeth At The Desk".

Some of his later paintings are thought to be masterpieces. August Macke was killed at the front, two months after the start of World War I at the age of 27.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Have to say I wasn't aware of this particular painter before! Your post and some extra research (don't we LOVE Google?! ;o) gave way to a bright spot of learning something new today--Thank you! I especially like the painting you show here. I think we share similar tastes in art! :o) Happy Weekend ahead ((HUGS))

The Weaver of Grass said...

What a waste of a wonderful talent. When I was in NY earlier in the year I went with Elizabeth (About New York on my blog list) to see a really good exhibition of German Expressionism. It is a bit of an acquired taste really but I love it.

steven said...

i love the way the star shaped cushion in the background hovers over her back. can you imagine that a talented artist could be sent to the front? it boggles my naive, trusting, sensitive mind!!! this is a new artist to me golden west, so thankyou very much!!! steven