Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Abodes That Abide



Some of my blog friends, Tracy in Norway, Pat in the Yorkshire Dales and Steven in Canada, have expressed an interest in seeing more pictures of our town. With that in mind, today my daughter Amanda will be posting some local pictures on her blog, as well. It will be fun for me to see what caught her eye! Here's what caught mine.

The picture above is one of the oldest houses in town. It's called the Derby House and was built entirely of redwood in 1887. It's situated downtown, directly across the street from the railroad tracks (where the old station once stood) and was a boarding house for weary travelers making the dusty journey between San Diego and Los Angeles. My great grandparents ran the Derby House in the late 1800s and my grandpa lived there for a good part of his childhood.



Everyone's heard of houseboats, but what about Boat Houses? These two are local landmarks, built in 1925, three blocks west of the Derby House. Of course they've never been to sea, but were built side by side as homes, one block due east of the Pacific Ocean. They're relatively authentic, with map rooms, wheel houses and port holes.

The Derby House and the Boast Houses are probably the most photographed homes in town, and have been occupied continuously since they were built.

5 comments:

steven said...

hello golden west, thanks so much for this. i nipped over to amanda's post and looked at what she chose to share and played my game of - "if you had to pick one, which one would it be?" with the buildings. i picked the boat houses to live in. for sure! what a crazy cool concept!!!! my kids would eat it up!!! have a lovely day. steven

Sweet Repose said...

I too love the boat houses, I have a secret dream to live on a barge house on the Mississippi...a the stuff dreams are made of...

Tracy said...

Thank you for more views...This is wonderful! Love the boat houses.Anything water related I love. :o) Happy Day ((HUGS))

Cordelia of Cottage Antiques said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cordelia of Cottage Antiques said...

Hey, there!
I love the Derby house, went it it once when it was on the market and my girlfriend and her husband were thinking of buying it. Old houses, nothing like them.
Thanks for sharing!