Thursday, July 9, 2009

Vintage Travel Posters ~ #2 In A Series



This pair of travel posters from Italy are especially intriguing because they were created in 1938, when the winds of war were blowing across the European continent. Benito Mussolini had been the leader of Italy since 1922 and he had imposed fascism across the country. Although he preferred France over Germany in the early 1930s, he allied himself with Hitler in 1940.

Luigi Salomone created the photomechanical halftone print above. It shows an historic street in Florence and was printed in Rome. The one below is a lithograph of Verona, artist unknown, printed in Milan.

2 comments:

nina said...

Thank you for this linking of the place with its more recent history. I love Florence to pieces. I know way too little about what took place here in the XXc.

High Desert Diva said...

I can't believe I can actually type this....
but I've been on that street in Florence!