Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Old Custom House In Monterey



Contemporary accounts say the old Custom House in Monterey was built by the Mexicans around 1827. The writing on the back of this old picture differs somewhat. It says the front part of the adobe building went up in 1814, constructed by the Spaniards to conduct royal business and as the social center for the Spanish aristocracy. It reads, "Beneath the Spanish flag, pressing matters of state were settled and gala balls were held" and that the center section was built by Mexicans around 1821, when they wrestled independence from Spain.

Whichever account is accurate, it is agreed that the Custom House, situated on Monterey Bay, is the oldest public building in California. On July 7, 1846, during the Mexican-American War, Commodore John Drake Sloat claimed 600,000 square miles for the United States and raised the Stars and Stripes over the Custom House for the first time. Those 600,000 square miles later became the states of Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and California.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love old postcards and historical things.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you for visiting my blog. Glad you wish to join in Inspiration Wednesday - have put you on my blog list too. i shall post details of the meme tomorrow, so be sure to look - best wishes.

Rhonda @ Shellbelle's Tiki Hut said...

I ran across your blog while I was searching for images of Tent City for my blog this morning and I'm glad I did! I spent most of my life in California before moving to Florida ten years ago.

You seem to post about a lot of the things I do, the beach, vintage photos, etc. I love the Pacific and miss it everyday. I even posted pics last week of tide pools in Redondo Beach (where my son lives) and one of a beach squirrel.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and tell you that I love your blog and will be back.

BTW, I'm going to mention your blog in my post today, hope you don't mind.