Saturday, May 23, 2009

Along The Coast Highway ~ 1929



These pictures were taken when my mom was two years old, in 1929. That's her dad's business, here in town at the corner of Highway 101 and H Street. Back then, the unpaved Coast Highway was lined with towering eucalyptus trees and was the main road between San Diego and Los Angeles. My great-grandparents (on my dad's side) owned a boarding house with adjoining farm just one block north and my dad grew up one block west.

Once the Great Depression struck, people couldn't afford cars as readily, or the gas to fuel them, so Grandpa closed this business and opened a hardware store up the street.

Eighty years later, in one form or another, all the old buildings still stand. These days, the old service station is a consignment shop, the farm is a car wash, the boarding house is an Italian restaurant and the hardware store is a bicycle shop.

1 comment:

Sweet Repose said...

What cool family histories you have. I often wish my Grandparents were still around to tell me all of the tales of my family's past...we were so uninterested in our youth.

Have a wonderful weekend!