Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Letting It All Hang Out



When my maternal grandparents retired in the early 1960s, they traveled the world. Grandma had been a housewife and then a court clerk and Grandpa was a soldier in France during World War I, then a letter carrier and after that a tool sharpener. They traveled from Denmark to Damascus, Caracas to Buenos Aires, and Barcelona to the Matterhorn. Instead of taking photographs, they bought postcards wherever they went, and recently, my mom decided the stack should become mine.

This card especially intrigued me. It's of wash day in Spakenburg, The Netherlands, one of the few places in Holland where people still routinely wear native dress.

1 comment:

High Desert Diva said...

Wow! Talk about traveling....no RV for your grandparents, eh?

Buying postcards when I travel is a trick of mine, too. Just in case all my photos turn out terrible....