Saturday, July 5, 2008

"I"ll Just Forget The Rain"



This watercolor painting was in a stack of old famly papers my parents brought by recently. Written on the back, in an artful, concise script that speaks of an earlier time, is, "This is the little church Grandfather Hauswirth gave to Gsteig. Someday I hope you will visit. I thought you might like to frame this. The countryside is beautiful. I'll just forget the rain. Love from, Helen". Grandfather Hauswirth was Clara's father, and Helen was Clara's daughter and sister of my grandfather, Otto. Gsteig is a small village in Switzerland, close by Gstaad, famous for its Alpine skiing. Once Helen came of age, she visited Switzerland every year, the only family member to ever go back to the homeland, until a 2003 visit by Grandfather Hauswirth's great-great-great granddaughter, Amanda.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.